Monday, April 20, 2009

each 1 has a special talent part 1

I’ve been fascinated with clothes only for a couple of years!

My 1st love is saris and jeans- personally salwaars don’t figure out anywhere in my favorite list. These days even on traditional occasion’s women gift each other salwaars, I so wished I was rather given a sari!

Anyway, there was so much material that I thought I’ll go and get some tailoring lessons. No skill ever goes a waste anyway.

I never really thought about the sewing machine which is such an important part of tailoring. I’d never handled or operated it before. How bad can it get, I thought? There were so many girls in the class, much younger to me, stitching comfortably on the machine. I’ll learn in a few days- I told myself!

1st day- the wheel was going reverse.

2nd day- wheel was going in the right direction, but the thread was getting stuck.
3rd day- thread still getting stuck.
4th day- needle breaks
5th day- 2nd needle breaks
6th day- 3rd needle breaks, almost misses getting in my right eye.
7th day – my teacher sits with me the whole class, the machine is now operating as if there never was a problem.
8th day- teacher thinks I’ll be fine- but the sewing machine still refusing to co operate with me.
9th day- other girls who started learning with me are stitching their own salwaars, am still stuck on a baby dress.
10th day- I tell the teacher I’ll stitch the whole dress by hand- I’ll do the entire course with my hand stitching, she says, “ have patience!”

11th day – wheel going backwards, needle breaks, the bobbin is rolling around the machine!
All the girls turn and look at me as I bang my hands on the machine table.

“ I’ve had enough!” I declare.

I storm out of the class.

There has been no skill that has taken so much time for me to learn. The last thing I remember which really tested my patience were the math sums. I’ve had absolutely no problems operating any machine so far- I learnt driving a car in mere 4 days! And now I can drive any automobile- be it a track, a bus or a truck!

And this little thing called a sewing machine is not co operating with me?

The next 2 weeks I don’t show up in class. The teacher calls up home, and I go to meet her. After talking about what’s really pissing me off, she mildly says, “Ok, take a break. If you have a machine at home, try your hand on it a couple of times, get comfortable with the idea that its you who is tailoring your own clothes, nothing is impossible! You just need to learn a couple of tricks.”

I come home, totally disappointed with myself, feeling like a total failure!
I don’t like myself not knowing to do anything!
So far I’ve learnt many skills, all with ease!
Be it swimming, dancing, singing, dramatics, or driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...