Wednesday, April 22, 2009

We all are blind, we all are deaf

I was attending a yoga camp next to my house. Constantly I could hear the cry of a pup. It was disturbing me so much, I couldn’t concentrate in any of the asanas. Some old ladies shouted at me for turning to look hear and there. I told them about the cry, they said, “are you hearing it for the 1st time or what? There are a 100 dogs out there!”

I got up that instant and got out of the class.

I saw a pup- around a month old, at the road side, perhaps hit by a car. He was lying down, unable to move, ants eating his ears and nose.

Call me an emotional fool, but I’ve never seen anything dying a slow death before. And this was just a month old pup! I just burst into tears! I ran to him, my mere touch sent a wave of pain in his body. I went home and got a plank of wood and put him on it, so that there will be minimum movement and pain for him.


I rushed him to the veterinary hospital, the doctor was not there ( as always). The assistant gave the pup some injection and said he would be just fine. I was carrying the pup home in my car, when he started to shudder, shiver and within 15 minutes, he was dead!

I wanted to go back and question the assistant, but I was just tired! How blind and deaf has our society become?

I’ve tried to save a few dogs and cats as and when I saw them in trouble. A neighbor, was throwing new born kittens ( eyes not even opened) in the dustbin next to our house. I picked them up and gave them back to the owner, asked him to keep them till their eyes open and then I promised I’ll take away the kittens! The same neighbor came around asking for a male cat a few days back- said there were too many rats in his house.

I see people hitting , kicking animals the whole time. Many times I tried to stop- occasionally even falling in trouble!

I’ve seen cases when a big rich family kept a big breed of dog in a cage, and left him there without giving him anything to eat for days- to his slow death!

We are no doubt the most selfish species on this planet!
And no matter how many times I’ve tried to tell and convince people to have a heart towards the animals, they only laugh at me and tell me some nonsense!

I urge everyone to do just 1 thing- when you have kids, please give them the right values so that they turn into responsible citizens with fully functional eyes, ears and brain!

4 comments:

  1. That was a touching post. You are right - no doubt we are the most selfish species to have ever inhabited the earth. Just look at what we have done. Will we ever recover from the strain 6 billion of us and countless billion vehicles and machines are putting on the earth?

    The image of a month-old pup dying by the roadside made me really sad. Humans have done nothing good to the Earth - by no means do we have a right to place ourselves ahead of other animals.

    Gosh, this comment is turning into a rant of despair - for I see no end to this human brutality .. no solution in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. d least we all can do is teach a bit of compassion to our coming generation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you JSincro. When I was younger I used to cry, but once I got married, my husband and I decided to help animals in whichever way we can.

    We found other like minded friends. I keep contact numbers of such people, and of organisations that do help (we pay or donate in return)and also of vets who can reach the place of accident - (generally by motor bike but there is also a vet in Pune who moves in his van, which is a mobile clinic.) Delhi has Friendicose and other organisations.

    It helps to form a support group, and to get involved, when you are alone it becomes very, very difficult, when there is a group, we all make sure we reach if we get a call. Like once I was alone at home and I got a call about a dog lying injured in the middle of the road, trying to get up. I felt like crying but took a torch, some money, some neosporin powder, betadine and a sheet. I kept calling other friends on the way - finally there were six of us on a dark road, we managed to drag the dog on the sheet, one of the friends brought his car, and I drove our car - a larger group can also put pressure on vets and Animal Welfare organisations.
    That dog died peacefully (and without pain, we got him put to sleep), he was very old, he had not been hit, he was dehydrated and had severe skin problem. Now I make sure I keep water for stray dogs near my place. My children also have placed clay bowls outside their colleges.

    If you meet other people who feel the way you do, you could ask them if they would help if they are able to - get their contact numbers, you will be surprised (very pleasantly) that a lot of people want to help but they do not know what to do. If they have someone else with them they definitely come forward and help in whichever way they can.

    I totally agree, we should raise our children to be compassionate and caring.
    And people who are physically cruel to animals are also likely to be cruel to humans.

    This is a long comment... your two posts about finding puppies really troubled me. I almost wished I had not read them, but if somebody is going through so much, the least we can do is read about and acknowledge their pain. The puppies could have been thrown over there by somebody, or the mother could have died also. I don't think mothers abandon their puppies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I did have a dozen numbers back in Goa, but the response I got from them most of the times was very "thanda". I watch those shows like Animal Rescues on Animal Planet and I feel so sorry for the animals here. But then, we don't even have any respect for human life in this country, animals are a far cry!

    And then I moved out of Goa, in a new city!
    And in this rush and noise levels, I don't hear any cries anymore, I haven't seen any hurt animal!!

    But definitely, no matter where I am, I would like to get involved with the Animal Welfare Organizations, because its high time we Indians start paying attention to fellow living creatures and not just to our families and careers and children!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...