Friday, May 1, 2009

My Rags

My entire family- somewhere around 15 of us, were leaving for Ganapatipule. I was around 6 years old then. Mamma dressed up Di and turned to me, she had some brand new clothes for me. “ I want to wear the yellow dress!”

There was this yellow skirt and a blouse that I got as a gift from pasakaka- He’s my favorite uncle, and what he got for me was like heaven sent gifts! The said yellow dress was at least 3 years old, I wore it at home, and mamma had discarded it! She had announced in front of the entire family that it’s the latest rag that she will be using for cleaning up the floor!


“ Baa, I already told you its torn and its not meant for wearing anymore!”
“ Noooooooo…I want the yellow dress!” wehhhhhh aaaaa I threw up a tantrum!

Mamma had enough, “ Then sit at home wearing your yellow dress, I am not taking you anywhere!”

I happily waved a goodbye to my family wearing the yellow dress. I was left behind with my grand parents!

Through all these years, the oldest of my clothes remain my favorites! They give me the best fit and the best comfort. Some of them belong to me, that I had worn in 8th std, and some I inherited from my Maushi, Di etc.

Through the years, people have become much more particular about their clothes and looks! But I feel no shame in wearing my Rags! I do the honors not only at home, or at camps but even when I have to go to the market and to restaurants. Women stare, some laugh and some comment- to hell with them! I am on top of the world when I am in my Rags!

Not just old clothes, shoes too are my favorites! I have so many new pairs of shoes, sandals- but I still enjoy wearing the sole torn , old, dirty looking amongst them.

I’ve always tried doing something new with the old stuff- like painting my old jeans with fabric paints, cutting and pasting stuff here and there- making a skirt out of a trouser ( yes! I did that!) ….. I jus love the feel of the old material- it reminds me of the good and the bad old times- makes me nostalgic!

I do not know if I have some sort of a disease, but I am myself in my rags!
I know I don’t look the prettiest, but I am at my best!
I JUST LOVE MY RAGS!

6 comments:

  1. Hee hee, I still rememeber that incident.Btw,you forgot to mention the pink ghaghra-choli that you were obsessed with. I remember you even wore it on one of my bdays! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ofcourse!
    bt was it pink or red?
    i remember it as red. u had d blue 1. n i wore mine till it was torn, after it was in bits n pieces , i draped it to my barbie doll!
    never wasted a lil piece of tht cloth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember clearly, it was pink with silver border on it.It looked better than my red alrite, which was too gaudy but not so good to wear for every damn occasion in the family ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aargh .. this post makes you sound like ... .. a hopeless romantic :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Kiran.You are right.Janaki was hopelessly in love with her rags! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ghee! I still am!
    I've come up with a new collection of rags!:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...