Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The first rains in Bengaluru

It's my first "Rains" in Bengaluru!


Yesterday late evening I went to drop my  brother on the bus stand along with my sister. It was around 8.30 pm and we both ( me and my sis) were still stuck on the bus stand , waiting for a volvo to take us back home. It was already windy by then! And within a few minutes it started raining!

My first reaction to every first rain is to go out and drench myself in it! I hate to hide myself when it rains.....that too for silly reasons like "my dress will get wet!" (It gets wet when you wash it anyway!)

But I didn't run out in the rains this time,
First:  It was late and my sis had already got hyper about not getting a Volvo to go back home! I can imagine what would happen if I had drenched myself.......
a. she would catch me by my ear and hit me with the only frail umbrella that we were carrying!
b. Swear that she wouldn't allow me to step inside 'her' home!
c. Pack my bags and send me back to Goa, probably by the same bus that my bro was traveling!

Since I didn't want to be beaten up in the middle of a major bus stand, nor wanted to take the risk of having to sleep outside in the rains nor did I want to go back to Goa- So I resisted stepping out, and enjoyed the showers by only passing under it in the pretext of checking out the buses!

The reason I love rains so much is probably because I was born on a rainy day! I remember each and every birthday of mine used to be so wet! For Every birthday party, I would tell my friends to carry 2 pairs of clothes! The first party wear for the cake cutting ceremony ( till their parents dropped them at my place and left!) and second ( rainy wear!) .

One of our major games used to be "Adventures under the Tunnel!" . We have an old Portuguese house in Goa, and a big tunnel ( for water drainage) runs under the front yard of our house! This tunnel carries the water from the Mont Hill, which is situated at the back of our house or rather my house is at the foot hills of the Mont!

By the time I was celebrating my birthday by mid June , the tunnel used to be filled with water and even tiny fishes! Me and my friends loved splashing in this water or simply trekking through the tunnel from our house to the Mont! There used to be many challenges while we trekked in there- big frogs- And by big I mean really biiiig! The goal of the game was to trek till the Mont- so we had to overcome every difficulty in the way!

Water varied in its depths at some points - so many friends would even take a full dip! There were stories about water snakes being there in the tunnels too........though personally I never saw one, at every game, somebody would scream on top of their voices " Snaaaakkkke!"  and everybody would run for their lives!

In the rush that would follow, some tried to climb up the wet slippery wall, some others lost their footwear- and they had to run downhill trying to catch their floating chappals, some others like me who knew very well there was no snake would take that opportunity to simply push people around and make them nervous!

After we all had screamed and got wet till our heart's desire we would return home to eat and dress up!

Even now when I see the tunnel filled with water, I've the desire to jump in and splash the water- but I miss my childish friends! Now everyone cares too much about their age and what people would say.........Personally, I don't think we are ever too old to play any kind of games as long as it can entertain us! Not that me and my friends have lost our fear of frogs and snakes!

As I grew up, there was only another girl who thought like me and didn't mind going wild in rains- Sharvani! For the last couple of years, every time it rains heavily, we take our bike and wear no rainy gear and go out for a long ride! There's no fun driving a car in the rains- the bike- any kind - is all you need!


"Rains" remind me of the film "Bombay" cause it starts in the rains and the love story looks more beautiful set in rains!
"Rains" also remind me of the film "Taal".
"Rains" remind me of the monsoon treks! Forests are the most exciting places to be in during rains! The greenery, the sound of small water falls , the happy birds chirping fills the atmosphere with so much freshness!  The rain drops falling on big and small leaves have their own rhythm.......all you need to do is sit quietly on a rock,  and listen and feel the monsoons!

Here in Bengaluru I miss a friend like sharvani who would just be ready for any wild activities in a matter of seconds! I miss my bike! And I miss trekking in the wild!

I've heard Karnataka has some of the best outdoors and I can't wait to explore them this monsoons!

Anybody game for some wild activities this monsoons?

8 comments:

  1. Good one! I don't thin anybody would say no to get drenched in rain that too in the middle of a horrible summer. I was so damn happy while sleeping yesterday night because of this, got up around 4:30 itself today and went for a long jog than usual. Enjoyed the weather to the core.

    Good.. we share something in common.. my birthday is sometime early in june :) Keep watching out for my tweets, we keep going out on treks pretty often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outdoors is what's on my mind now!
    Will keep an eye on your tweets! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice!!! almost as pleasant as rain!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too miss the excitement we used to have on your birthday every year.Your bdays were like an action-packed adventure trip for all the kids. We would kick-off the event with our Tunnel-games. Once we were exhausted with all the running around the dirty waters,we would enter the house and enjoy the heavy showers outside. I still remember the main attraction for everyone was our well and how the water level kept increasing all through the evening and once it had reached so high that we could literally touch it. That was scary but exciting, thinking about all the possibilities if the Well had to overflow ;-).Then in the late evening, the lights would trip for long hours and everyone would end up having a candle-light dinner! Those were the Golden days....

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were more games once the lights would go! Usually hide and seek! and then someone would hit some piece of furniture and that would be the end of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i wish i too was in ur goa gang :) i love rains too and can imagine the fun in the tunnel!

    good to read ur blog, recommended by a friend (who also stumbled across ur blog)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! Our bike rides... i miss monsoons! Can't wait for June.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Bhavin: Thank u! :-)

    @ Siddhartha: Welcome to my blog!
    All of us have our own story of monsoons, isn't it? Monsoons are the time for all the adventurous activities...especially during the childhood!

    @ Sharvani: We have loads of stories on monsoons, isn't it?
    Hope the coming years bring more craziness in our lifestyle! :-)
    Cheers to Monsoons and Life!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...