Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ooty In Pictures!

Am not much of a photographer, I wonder what pictures one could click in a location like Ooty if he has the right skill and the right camera, because the possibilities are many!

I had visited Ooty as a child, and this was my 2nd visit after more than a decade, and what I saw of it completely broke my heart!

Ooty or Udagamandalam, has beautiful weather and is rich in natural beauty! It is one of those places God makes with great care........unfortunately, our Indian brethren has not respected this god's creation!






I saw these boards at every place I visited! Does our Government think that putting up such warning Boards excuse them of their responsibility to clean up the area in a country like India, where more than half of its population cannot read and write in their own native language and especially in a state like Tamil Nadu where people don't understand English??














This is supposed to be a pine forest! Look at the plastic thrown around. Those Boards were put up in the left side of the road, you turn right and you see this!
























This is the same Pine Forest! And people sell all sort of things wrapped in plastic!

















Dustbins of International Standards ! It's open from underneath! No wonder nobody threw any waste inside. Why bother when the strong winds will blow out everything within seconds??















Tibetan Market packed with people!

Summer being a season, Ooty is packed with Indian tourists! If you are amongst those who hate crowds and pollution- do not visit Ooty during summers, I don't know what it's status is during other seasons!

The main town is filthy with gutter water flowing everywhere! We Indians just don't deserve anything beautiful!! We have absolutely no civic sense, we care about nothing other than our great Traditions, that teach us to do Honour Killings!!


I wonder, are we Humans or Vultures killing and destroying our own species??

Anyway, on a lighter note, Udagamandalam is still a very beautiful place. Just stay away from the crowds and the main city, and go trekking in the woods- you'll find peace immediately! The local people are very friendly and accommodating!



These young fellas helped me find my trail while trekking in the woods!














Lovely location for a dream house!












A formation at a lake in summers when the water level drops!













A View from my Hotel Window!























It is frustrating to see a place as beautiful as Ooty dying a slow death just like many other places in India. How come we Indians act so carelessly in our motherland and the same "us" when we go abroad, are at the best of our civility?


How many more decades till we see a change in this careless Indian attitude?

15 comments:

  1. Too bad... :(
    During our Ahmedabad road trips, we came across many such experiences, some of them really bad...
    I mean before thinking about whose responsibility it is to keep clean, do we ever think what we can do? or what we ourselves are doing? From this point of view, I find goa way better... quite well said, "It's better in Goa"
    :)

    check this post on Viramgam
    http://besigns.blogspot.com/2009/08/virangaman.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh and yes, your pics are quite appropriate for the post. I mean the first pics are not supposed to look beautiful but more communicating. They are! I liked no. 5

    The second set is supposed to look beautiful and it does! I like no. 14 (last one)
    keep clicking... Everyone knows basically what looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Bhavin, by those standards Goa is quite well maintained!

    It is each and everyone's responsibility to keep the place clean! But when the common man does not understand that, we need a stronger government action to take control and set things right!

    I was thinking the whole time, what can I do to make a difference? Can I roam around collecting plastic on my holiday? I definitely can not!

    Are there any authorities we can write to about this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yeah! Thank you for the compliments! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. few people are doing something regarding this (waste), if not the government. There is an organization 'Daily Dump' run by Poonam Kasturi in Bangalore. My friend was doing a project for them. Visit their site here
    http://www.dailydump.org/

    U can start by educating (and sometimes threatening) the ones around you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pics...
    I liked the idea of such a beautiful villa in the middle of the forest ;)
    the silver lining of clouds is truly at its best... Of course the light playing hide and seek with clouds is great too!

    You should click more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank u! :-)
    This encouragement is good for my new hobby to shape up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ur worried about pine forests watabout unborn babies people kill

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Anonymous: It's not just Pine Forests m worried abt....actually I do worry about a lot of things! But this post I wrote was about Ooty, and mainly relating to Environmental Degradation happening in our Country!

    About Killing unborn babies, I had in fact made a short film back in 2004 called "My Quest" , citing how women are taking "Abortion" lightly! When in fact it is a 'Murder'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! The last picture is a stunning image! Shows nature in its full grandeur!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love picture posts like this - we can see pictures of scenic beauty anywhere, but such pictures show the truth about any place.

    That dustbins and the messages in English give away such a terrible lack of concern from those who can initiate changes... (and are supposed to maintain the place)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...