Thursday, July 1, 2010

The 1st Date!

She did not want it to be a romantic date...it was just a friendly date, she had made that very clear with him....
But unknowingly, she was taking special care in getting ready. She chose a very pretty top and a proper fit jeans, long earrings and the costliest perfume she owned.

He looked at himself in the mirror and remembered her warnings and " I'm just making it very clear" sentences filling up all of their chats for the past 1 week or so that they had been chatting. He smiled to himself mischivously and thought "Girls....Indian girls!"

They had not met each other - ever.
He had sent her a friend request on FB.
They did not have any mutual friends.
She accepted , simply looking at his snap!

They both lived in the same city...she would have never met him in other circumstances! She had a strict policy: No meeting chat friends!! But this time she was ready to make an exception. She had spoken to him on the phone and loved his voice, besides his looks of course and of course he was extremely witty in his chats...what more can one ask for?

They had decided to meet up for lunch !

12.30pm: She waited outside the mall, holding a yellow rose..

And he came, she had her back to him.
Him: Hi!
Her: ( surprised, shock, bewilderment) What are you doing here?
Him: I was just around the corner and saw you standing here for quite some time so thought of.....
Her: I don't want to talk to you.....Just.....How many times do I have to tell you that? it's over! Just go away....okay?
Him: Are you waiting for someone?
Her: None of your business.

He thought for a while, she clearly ignored him.................he left.

After a while.......

Him: Hello...you must be Shikha!
Her: (Turns: Smiling, pleased, happy) Yes......Hi!
Him: So let's go in....

They were seated in a posh restaurant, and so far the date had been going on very smoothly.

But suddenly he asks,

Him: How do you know Rohit?
She almost chokes.
Her: What? who?
Him: I saw you talking to Rohit before I approached you.
Her: How do you know him?
Him: I asked 1st!
Her: I wouldn't like to answer.
Him: oooo......something's cooking huh?
Her: Maybe.....so why don't you tell me?
Him: Funny isn't it? We don't have any mutual friends but the 1st time we decide to meet, we have found a common friend.
She is thoughtful......
Him: Rohit is my best friend from childhood.
She is even more thoughtful, how come she never heard of him before.....
She: ....How come I never met you then?
Him: I was abroad. ( he takes a sip of water)...so now I know....his Shikha....The girl he's been going mad about for the past 3 years......he was right...you are quite something........so...what was wrong with Rohit that you left him suddenly? and you wouldn't even talk to him?
Her: Hey, I don't want to talk about him.
Him: And I don't want to talk about anything but him!
Her: Then I guess we better stop here.

And then Rohit comes and has a sit on the same table.
She watches the 2 of them and the whole picture is clear to her.

She laughs,
Her: Great Friendship!

And gets up to leave the table.
Rohit: I would never let you see anybody else.....I'll always track you down, no matter where you are.....You belong to me!
Shikha: (Smiles sweetly and leaves)

Rohit was so angry, he muttered under his breath: "If you don't understand when I am patient with you, I know other methods....."
There is a small bottle in Rohit's hands.
Rohit swiftly stands and starts walking behind her .
She , with her back on him, takes out her mobile and dials 100.

He sat on the table, looking at the glass of water in his hands.
He had liked her, really liked her- even though it was all planned.
He knew Rohit well and had come to understand that Rohit did not deserve a girl like Shikha.
He did...she was his kind. and for the sake of friendship, he had to blow up everything.
But not now....Rohit had given him a reason to act otherwise, the girl's life was in danger and he had to do something.

He turned to look at Rohit and saw Rohit opening the bottle, Rohit was within reach of shikha.......he had to act fast, if he was to call out to her, she would stop and that would be her end.............in a swift move, he leaped to his feet and ran after Rohit......At that very point, Rohit made his move, he leaped in front to catch hold of shikha's shoulder.......

So he  ran  with all the energy he had, He dashed against shikha, she fell to the ground, and the acid bottle in Rohit's hand was emptied on his face!


Suraj- that was his name!
 He lay in his hospital bed, his face and neck covered in bandages....he could not see, though he was not blinded totally, his eyes were damaged and the extent of the damage was yet to be known.

Shikha entered the room with red roses.
She looked at him and could not fight back her tears. His was the face that was once the most attractive face to her eyes, that's why she had agreed to meet him, that's why she had made an exception.........and now it was all gone.
She went to him , held his hands gently...
"It's me...Shikha"

He could not speak but he tried to listen.....attentively.

"And I want to ask you out, for our 1st 'Romantic Date'......so get well soon, I'll be waiting for you."

19 comments:

  1. Nice post! This kind of reminded me of a real life incident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...pretty speechless on this one... mixed reactions here....but very well narrated! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u.

    As always, I start out on one point and end up at something quite unexpected! So even for me its fun as to where the story is really flowing....it's as if one's I establish the characters, they do their own thing, they write their own stories.....I have no part to play in it ;-)

    This story writing thing is getting addictive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm speechless too. What I loved particularly was how much emotion that one single act of Suraj conveyed (or betrayed, if you please). You have portrayed that without much fanfare - with almost no words and yet it stands out there.

    Keep it up Jsincro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is 1 reason I love to read comments because once a story is written, how it touches each person and what sense it makes to each person is wholly dependent on his/her past experiences....and sometimes you might extract a meaning that I did not even think about while writing it!So thank u n please let the comments pour in because I need to know at what level I can really connect to every person who reads my writing!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. n ur surely gettin better at it by the day!! :)

    at every twist in this narration i had a different expectation... but the story took another route...

    nice one Jnki, was a good read

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice... liked the way u hv writn... keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intense!!- to sum it up in just one word. Immensely gripping..got sucked right in...loved the way it unfolded, could have never guessed the ending. Shikha's offer of "romantic date" was borne out of the idea of commiseration and compensation. Not pure..didn't go down well with me.

    Hope u never get rehabilitated from this addiction to story writing; otherwise, we'll be the ones grappling with the withdrawal symptoms.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank u ppl!

    @ Raghu: Ur vocabulary is driving me crazy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. excellent narration!
    keep writing, also try different scenarios and subjects ( like other than relations), and stories without any shock value etc.

    For this particular story, I loved the part when she is waiting for him and a different 'him' approacehes her! After that u do expect shocks!
    Didn't like the last 'romantic date' offer so much, but its ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Bhavin, I need to start writing something different.
    Love ur comment, tells me more about what I should do and what I might avoid.thanx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, read both the stories. Both have same style ie start with emotional something and end with something dramatic. I would have preferred little more flow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well narrated...u need to control the pace of story though.. but wonderful presentation of the preparation to meet..n the thought process of d characters..U r Having the Spark..Convert it into a Big Fire!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an unexpected twist... just what wre u thinking when u wrote this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. ah very nice. came across ur blog throu bhavin's blog and really enjoyed reading this post...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the first post of urs i have read. and m sure il be coming back to read all the rest of em. :) u r a gifted writer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just stumbled up on your post...
    Simple story but well written; gripped me to every word.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...