Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Meeting the Real Howard Roark! ( Reading the Fountainhead Part 2)

He is slender, not too tall, straight jet black hair, sharp eyes and a mocking , smirk-like smile adorns his child like face! This isn't the first time I am seeing him, he is the son of a family friend, but we've hardly ever spoken. I only heard stories of him, stories of his rebellious nature, stories of his experiments with life...................but there wasn't a word I heard from him...he was quiet, always , as if someone had punished him and he wasn't to speak until permitted!

Something about his face was highly attractive, those deep black steady eyes showed self assurance and confidence....he walked straight, easily, and at his own pace, never too fast, never too slow.

Once, I tried to strike some conversation, he looked disinterested, I did not feel offended ( surprisingly! Because if any other guy had done that, I would never turn back and look at him a 2nd time......but this guy was different. Something told me it wasn't about ego or intention.....there was more and I had to know him )and decided I rather observe this guy and study him before talking to him again.

This man is not the conventional guy you meet everyday....for matters of privacy I cannot disclose his name. people laugh at him, because he doesn't do what they expect him to do.....he's his own boss. Everybody advices him about what to do in life, I doubt he's ever asked anyone for their opinions so he never insults them but he never abides them too and then people feel insulted ! That's why he is almost in everybody's bad books!

For a while I thought, which girl would ever be interested in a guy like this?? But upon having observed him for a few days and on a few occasions, i wondered, which woman wouldn't fall for him??

When he does decide to speak, all you can ever do is shut up and listen because his stories are like none other, his experiences of life - like something you've never imagined, never heard....and it's the stuff he's done, not some cooked up stories like you hear from most other guys.......
He quickly makes friends with guys,
and the villagers and yes children too,
For some reason, he always chooses which girls he will talk to, and once he does choose, he'll take her on a ride of a lifetime....

I admire men like these in whose company i feel different, whose auras give me a sense of the possibilities of human life and strength......he might be a no one to the world today.....but he's definitely someone amusing for me! He's not someone you meet and forget, but someone you remember for a lifetime........Whenever I sit down to write of a central, male character, its his face I see!

When I first decided to start blogging, my first blog was based on him. But I never could complete it, because I could never understand him fully. When I read The Fountainhead, just a few paragraphs about Howard Roark and the puzzle pieces fell into its place, it was alomost like finding the key to knowing this guy ...

Reading the fountainhead from that point onwards became much more interesting, because I could relate to it. I have met the "Peter Keating" types too, not one, but several of them.....they never make you feel good! Even if you are happy with them at a particular point, you can never trust them, because they are so scared of something.......they are always over burdened with finding responsibility and stability in life! I always look down upon these 2 things- Responsibility and Stability...because they spoil the essence of life, they kill the adventure in a man and make him nothing but a robot!

Fountainhead hasn't been an eye opener, in fact it is more like coming face to face with many emotions within me, which I always tried to hide, which I thought were bad...............Fountainhead only made me more comfortable with myself and my ideas!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I was expecting this post, but not quite like this... and don't worry u dont give away the guy!
    And your perception about Fountainhead is very different than mine! I related more to Dominique than I could to Howard... not every crazy thing she did, but more in essence of the character and the way she perceived things.
    Anyway, good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like its time i pick the Fountainhead myself... ill probably relate to ur blog better then...

    Nice one tho' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sim: Hmmm.....Dominique.....That woman is such a waste! I mean I understand her logic in behaving the way she did....but I am not convinced with her! Howard Roark could have become the inspiration for her to fight this world which she so despises, in stead she chooses to make things worse for him...kind of ulti khopdi, isn't she? But I guess that's what sets this novel apart.

    @ Siddhi: The novel is all ur's! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you come across a real Howard Roark ? after this what ? did he made it big ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! For me he is the Howard Roark! :-)
    Did he make it big??
    Just like in the book, the society laughs and shuns the best 1st......he's shunned! But I expect him to rise some day....hope he's going to hang on till then! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) Hmmmmm

    I think now, after months have passed since I read the book, that maybe I need to read it again....this time to understand Dominique! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...