Monday, February 21, 2011

When do I get to live my life my way?

What does a "family" mean to my generation?
What does a "family" mean to my parent's generation?


What does a "friend" mean to my generation?
What does a "friend" mean to my parent's generation?

What does "My Life" mean to my generation?
What does "My life" mean to my parent's generation?

The answers are almost opposites!

Let me be frank here, I'm confused about why family is supposed to be more important than friends especially when it's  friends most of us are emotionally attached to. Family acts more like a bank, an ATM, financing our lives more than having an emotional connect with what we are.

In many cases, families play the role of a villain!
Stopping their children from doing what they exactly want to do!
All this in the name of protection and love!
Is it that friends care any less that's why they don't step in and stop?
Do they love us any lesser that's why they aren't against our wishes and desires?
Or is it that they know us better, that's why they support us?

Today, I might be taking some decisions because of what my family wants out of me.
Tomorrow, my children, will not do something , just because I want them to do so...I better have a reason for my advice for them!Even if I have a fair reason, they might not take my advice!

I find my generation  sandwiched!
Between my parent's generation ( who want us to listen to them) and my future generation ( who won't listen to us)....
Am I ready to be sandwiched between my parents having their way and my children having theirs?

When do I get to live life my way?
When do I get to live life my way?

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog J....
    a good point to bring forward......

    But i believe you will definitely be able to solve this issue with time...... BOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess Thats probably because we do not have the courage to do what we want to...yes, maybe because we are financially dependent on them... it begins with education, it is so expensive... and the level at which we are demands us to concentrate on studies if we want a successful career... then comes the work pressure, therez competition, politics and we succumb to it because unfortunately we have to settle (which means getting married). Then we need a flat, car etc and the EMIs are so high that we have to be like dogs, loyal to employee...job security... the recession sets in....
    But the great part is that we are dreaming and striving to do what we want to....n I find this struggle sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do not intent to contest what you are saying here.
    Here is my curious thought.
    What we define as 'family 'or 'friend' is very personal issue. These are not rigid boundaries.There are instances in past where parents have become 'friends' and a dear friend can become 'family'.
    it is a matter of perspective. With the coming of facebook everyone is a 'friend'. Your bro, sis, ma, pa, lover, ex lover, or husband, ma in law, pa in law and sometimes even your enemy gets qualified as 'friend' :)
    Does this say something about future society? I guess so. In a traditional societies relations have specific names and one lives and plays a role by those relations. ( mama, kaka maushi... bla bla bla.. and they do not even call them by their original names...:)

    I think what you are suggesting in your blog is an issue of role playing. But these traditional rules are changing fast. And in future every one is every ones friend only.

    i think it is best way to define any relationship.. Friends Only!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...