Sunday, May 25, 2014

How I cracked Level 1 & the people at HMI

Apart from these wonderful girls I had as my roomies, there was another thing that helped me crack level 1!
My Rope- Rope 2!


In HMI, people are put in groups (Ropes! Why they call it a rope is because in mountaineering , a rope is a lifeline). They make sure you and your friends don't end up in the same rope. So myself Vignesh and Sharvani belonged to separate ropes and the Konkani clan was also carefully divided. Mostly every rope had only one girl member.

My Rope leader was the senior most participant (by age). There was one army jawaan, one guy from Haryana, 2 from Mumbai, 1 from Darjeeling and 1 Bengali guy. During rock climbing, my rope members helped and encouraged me so much that I knew that if not for me, I had to complete the given task for them. I had issues with the army jawaan though. There were 4 of them in the whole course who passed dirty comments and gave dirty looks to girls. Initially I tried getting to know them by talking to them, trying to make them understand my part of the story. Then I started keeping my distance. And towards the end when I heard them commenting on me, I commented back. Loud & clear!

Most of us girls are very protected in our sweet lives, and it is hard for us to understand why some men hate some women so much! These guys ( all from Haryana- and yes this experience has made me draw adverse conclusions about Haryana ) - most of them married, hated to see us girls talk and laugh and have a good time with other men.

What we consider as "normal behaviour" , they consider it as "Cheap behaviour".
I had a conversation with one of them about the clothes that modern women choose to wear and he said that if he sees any woman wear short clothes , he will pick her up! Because she is asking for it! And this man comes from the army and is married. Well forget his marriage but he definitely defamed the Indian Army there!

For me, more than mountaineering, this was an opportunity to understand my own country. Because in no other course would I meet such a diverse crowd.
Here are some of the types of people I met at the course:

1. Those who talked too much: There was too much unsolicited advice. Unnecessary discussions and debates.
2. Those who didn't  understand the meaning of "My space" Or giving others "Their space".
3. Those who looked for approval from others: "I want to be liked by everyone around me". "I want them to perceive me as a good person".
4. Those who only think of Competition.
5. Those who looked at women as objects! These were also the one's who thought they have a say in "How a woman should behave".
6. Those who have safely parked themselves in a parallel universe!
7. Hard core mountaineering folks: We eat mountains. We sleep mountains. We talk mountains.
8. Those who knew how to use others and get their work done.
9. Those who indulged in stealing other's food.
10. Moody unstable characters.
11. Intellectuals. Spritual. Deep thinkers.
12. Singers.
13. Fashion crazy folks.
14. Dopers & smokers!
15. The quiet "I mind my own business, you mind your's!" folks.


So now you do know what I was doing most of my time at the course!
I was thinking, observing, feeling and living it up!
Yes I was also learning about mountaineering, but this question and answer session in my mind which was triggered by all these people I met was the centre of my focus!

Due to all my thinking, I didn't get close to anyone in particular in level 1. I preferred my music over the company of people. Besides my "Me Time" is of supreme importance and I guarded it.

Level 2 is where I learnt to keep my thoughts aside and experience people!

Like Deepa put it, " People that sleep together and poop together are the one's that stick together!"

Whenever I attend any courses, there is one person  that I completely connect to. In this course that person was Deepa. It wasn't love at first sight ( we both are straight unfortunately!) In fact she and Akshata were so close all the time, and I was so lost in my thoughts that we both didn't cross each other's territories. On the 3rd night I announced I am going home. Deepa jumped on my bed ( god knows from where) and convinced me not to go. She hugged me, held my face and didn't let go until I said the words, "I won't go". When Deepa finally let go I looked at Sharvani who smiled gently (in her usual style) and said, "Chill!"

And so I stayed !





5 comments:

  1. Keep posting! Ur blog is my permanent tab... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should have gone, baby! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get to decide when I go and when I stay sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha....you're so special! love u! muuaah! hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...