Thursday, June 17, 2010

On my Birthday...

Isn't it boring to simply do the same things on your every Birthday?
The same friends and family- a few new one's here and there but overall it's the same gathering!
The same menu- chicken, pulao,fruit salad- somethings change, but overall it remains the same!
The same cake cutting ceremony, and as you grow up you don't even play games...you simply sit around and chat.....

As families grow and new members are added, every month you have a birthday to attend and it's all done in the same manner every year!
Birthday's are the most boring occasions to attend on my list now!

And I didn't want mine to be the same.

A few years back I decided I would make sure I travel on my birthday since I love travelling! And this year I decided I will spend my time the way I love it most- amidst nature!

I've often spoken about Netravali. This is some place I've been visiting for the past couple of years- whether it is for camps or just a quick get away. Being only an hours drive from Margao, Netravali is the closest destination I've found for relaxation and rejuvenation!

With a few close friends who love to trek and a few family members, we started early morning for Netravali on the 13th. Monsoons make Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary even a more beautiful place. And from the moment we started our drive, it had started raining!

Monsoon treks have an excitement of their own! Since we were trekking towards the Mainapi waterfall, the entire way is full of rocks , slippery , curvy, and full of dangerous rocks! Of course, I did not want to break a bone on my birthday but I did fall, as everyone else did!

I wished I could put up some snaps here, but my friend in the north has them all captured on his SLR and as and when I get them I'll surely put them up.

There was no lunch on this birthday, since the 6 hour trek that started at 10 am in the morning took all our time. Lunch consisted of some biscuits, chocolates, banana chips etc. The greatest form of joy came through the magnificent waterfall, the fact that we got all our privacy and we could practice diving and swimming in the deep green waters!

When I was back to the base camp- The Tanshikar house was ready with simple home made food and an Alphonso mango and loads of Ice cream!

The peace and the joy I experienced on this birthday was like none other I've ever experienced!

My apologies to all my friends and family who called on my birthday but either couldn't get through the call or I could not speak to them. Thank you for all your wishes and blessings!

But now on it's going to be a bit different... For the past several years I've had parties, lots of eating,playing, dancing and drinking and good clothes and make up! Now on it's going to be about dirtied and soiled clothes, no make up , no good food but lots and lots and lots of joy and inner peace and tranquility!

Try it....I am sure you'll like it too!

This year I turned 25!
A bit more mature, more understanding, more serious???

Naah!

This 25th Birthday I make a promise to myself, as I get older, I'll get wackier, Crazier , gutsier and braver. I will do more, live more, laugh more and feel more!

10 comments:

  1. Belated birthday wishes. Have a great year ahead with many more new experiences in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, seems like u had a lotta fun :)
    happy 25th once again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post!
    And hey, not everybody took a fall... I bear witness!

    And lets do something wacky for my b'day now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Mohan n Sam: Thank u! :-)

    @ Sim: There was so much more to write, but somethings are better experienced, I just couldn't put it down in words!

    N yes, U did not fall!

    n i've done more than just falling on d rocks- I've been stuck up on a high rock like a lizard sticks to a wall,n I've fallen on my back, n I took a few people down with me at times, I also tried swinging on a fallen tree like a Monkey......n yes how abt d rescue? I rescued ur drowning cousin my dear!! n yes I also spotted Bisons from close range. What an achievement on 1 single day n tht happens to b my b'day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey belated happy b'day J !
    :)
    I wish you 'MORE LIFE'!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a way to celebrate a birthday. I'm gonna try it one of these years :). Hey - where exactly is Nethravali? And how come I've never heard of it all these years? It's on my menu when I visit Goa next.

    When I was in college - birthday was the day I looked forward to - mainly because I'd get to speak to so many friends and relatives. Remember, most of us still din't have mobile phones then and people din't stay in touch with out of station friends over phone/sms as often as we do now.

    Alas - now I think birthdays have lost that importance. I am well in contact with most relatives and friends - so that special feeling is lost. I should take a leaf out of your book and make birthdays special by doing something like this - something that I love :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Netravali or Neturle is famous for the "Budbudyachi tali" or the pond with mysterious bubbles that come when you make some big noise or simply clap around it!
    It's some distance away from Rivona, in Sanguem Taluka and has the Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary and other places of historical importance around it.

    Netravali has 3 major waterfalls- Savri (45min trek), Mainapi(2 hour trek) and Sonaar ( I don't know how much time this one takes because I've heard it's a very difficult trek and haven't been lucky enough to plan a trip here yet!).

    The place is rich in flora and fauna- we spotted a herd of Bisons on our trek and you also spot other animals commonly- deers, peacocks, king cobra, wild cats, foxes etc.

    You can spot many birds that sing beautifully- me and my friends have woken up to these strange whistling sounds that we've never heard anywhere before.

    From Oct to March there are ab-sailing activities organized.

    One person who has always made my experience in Netravali one to remember is Chinmay Tanshikar and family, who can help you with accommodation and other activities such as camping,ab-sailing and trekking. You can contact him on: 9421184114, 0832-2608358.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated b'day wishes.Hope you remember me. I liked your posts specialy this one..
    Gr8. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...