Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Letter for every Goan! ( For Green Mind,For Green Goa)

Dear Goan,

I'm riding in a boat, in a canal called Cumbarjua, far off in the interiors of Goa, to places I never explored in my 25 years of living and growing up in Goa. I'm on a mission to spot a croc here, there are around 28 Adult crocs spotted in this area, there's no formal report or document on how many are here though! And I've been lucky enough to spot 1....a large one...the largest I've seen so far...after one and a half hours of riding in the waters.....its a 10 feet big adult croc!
" You all are lucky to spot that one!" Says Dr. Manoj Borkar who's guiding us on this field trip.

It's crazy how Goa always hypnotises me with her beauty!
It's crazy how a few days back I reluctantly stepped in Goa on a vacation I did not expect much from and ended up attending a 6 day long International Camp on Climate Change organised by the British Council.

And while a part of me is making full on plans of breaking every tie with Goa,
Through this camp and its field trips Goa screams at me to not turn my back on her, she longs for my attention, she asks me to do my part for being her daughter!

Mining is eating Goa, and so is the careless tourism!
Goa still seems like a virgin land from far off...but you dig into her a bit deep and you see the wounds....perhaps those that will take a very long time to heal!

There's a need for the Goa Government and the people to have a green mind and to be eco sensitive to understand the problems of Goa and to come up with solutions. The integrity of the people of Goa and the policy makers is highly questionable. And if such an attitude continues, Goa is heading for a big disaster!

India is so obsessed with economics, that economics has become our only measure for success. But for a land as rich in biodiversity as India, we need to keep a balance between economics and the ecology.

A few years back I took up to organising camps for school kids so that they become aware of the situation and I have great faith in our next generation...They have the courage to stand up and talk about issues that at some point, my generation lacks!

Solutions are many, but are we ready to make the change? Are we ready for the change?
We Indians are so stuck in our cocoons of culture that we are bound by our senseless Do's and Dont's. We are stuck in our stereotypes!

From now on, I'll write a post, once a month about the solutions to each of Goa's or India's problems. Solutions that have been adopted by some country or some Indian state. Let's not talk only of problems anymore, let's talk about solutions now and let's show the courage to implement the solutions in our day to day life!


Those of my readers, friends, well wishers who are willing to make a change to their surroundings and protect the environment, please get in touch with me at jsincro@gmail.com and I shall put you in touch with people who can help you, guide you in matters concerning our environment.

Let's do our bit for our motherland!
Just one's.......please!!

Hoping for a positive response from educated  individuals!

6 comments:

  1. The problem is its always the 2 of us, I want some teenagers taking some initiative now. At least they've got slightly more time on their sleeves than us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like to read ur blog janaki ... its really uniq ! anyws this is again uniq post ... i am IN !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u so much Namrata.
    :-)
    I hope people like us can make some difference, however small it might b!

    ReplyDelete
  4. janaki create a fb community! give a link to your blog! SAVE GOA! awesome read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Goa we have a lot of NGO's and people working to save the environment. Yet all of our voices are not enough to stop the so called development harming the environment. A few years earlier, a few politicians and environmentalists and well wishers of Goa got together to form the "Save Goa Front Party" ( a Politicial Party) headed by Churchill Alemao( who was once caught in a sting operation of Tehelka.com So you can imagine what good he will do.Just a change in the name doesn't change the attitude of the person). Now its split, the party was like just a sham to divert people's attention and to give us false hopes.

    We have the Save Goa Abhiyan(http://savegoa.com/gba/about_us/) which successfully made the government scrape the Regional Plan 2011.

    I believe forming links on FB or environment related groups online will not make any change. We have to get our asses off the seats and go out to the location to see what's happening!

    Yet, I will not stop blogging about the topic....what to do? It hurts to know Goa is getting hurt every moment! :-(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...