Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strange Relationships

In KFC, They sat at a table facing the whole crowd, so that he could check out the girls and she could check out the boys.They were really good friends, ex's actually, but due to some problems somewhere, things couldn't be worked out and they had accepted the fact after initial hesitation and decided to move on as good friends. It wasn't too long back since their break up, but they did meet up once in a while, things were cooling down, it seemed.

"Check that one in your right." he turned the whole way to his right,almost looking backwards to see the girl.
"Not so much right stupid......At around 2o'clock." She specified the position and he caught sight of the girl.
"What about her?" He asked.
"You don't find her good?",she was surprised.
"She is okay..."
"Why? Just because she is in a salwaar? Only a girl in skimpy clothes can look hot according to you or what?", He wondered why Shalini couldn't let go at times, why she had to know the reason behind each and every opinion.
"I did not say she's hot, nor did I say she is bad......I just said she is okay! I mean she is attractive, rest I don't know yet."
Shalini looked at Kunal with a surprised look,"You don't have to know the rest Mr. This fun shun is meant only for the pleasure of your eyes, nothing more.", She sounded a bit possessive.

The girl in question sat alone at the table. looked like she was nervous and waiting for someone.

"I'm so sure she is not here with her boy friend." Shalini was back talking about the same girl.
"Why so?"
"Look at the expression on her face. Girls who come here with their boy friends usually carry an attitude, or that they smile at themselves because they are so much in their own world. But look at her, she seems kind of bored! "

Kunal shot her another look," She isn't bored. She's anxious."

"Really? About what?"

Just then a fat woman came with a tray filled with coke and other food stuff and laid it before the girl and sat down next to her.
" Anxious about how to finish off all that food eh?" Shalini joked sipping on her coke.

"That's her mother. And she is here to meet her prospective son in law.", Kunal said confidently. Shalini decided to play along.
"In KFC? Is this a place for such occasions?"
"This is a place for all occasions my friend. I would be really comfortable meeting a prospective wife to be in KFC rather than some posh restaurant where it's really quiet and tidy and formal and all that."
Shalini thought for a while," Yeah. You are right. This informal environment helps to calm down.Yet she's so nervous. Imagine how nervous she would be in a formal setting!"

"Oh come on. This is her 1st time, plus she's really young. Just 21." Kunal's eyes were glowing with confidence now.
"What's making you so happy?As if you are their prospective..?" She nudged him.
"As a matter of fact ....", He got up from his seat, tidied his shirt a bit, "I am. Excuse me for a while, will you?"
"Yeah right." Shalini smiled and got back to her burger. But from the corner of her eyes she saw Kunal walking up to the table. She kept watching him, not knowing what to do. She was frozen in her seat, with that burger in her hands as she saw Kunal walking up to the 2 ladies and striking a conversation and then taking a seat on that table.

As minutes passed by, the reality dawned on her.
Kunal had actually come here to meet his prospective wife to be. He knew all along, everything about the very girl Shalini chose as her target for her comments. Shalini felt betrayed, foolish and sad all at the same time. Yes they were 'Just Friends' now, but it was hardly 2 months back that they had broken up. And just a week since they had started speaking again. She wanted to give their relationship another shot, she wanted to try and make it work. Because those 2 months after they broke up, had really given her the time to evaluate the situation. She was 27. It wasn't too early for marriage. Why had she declined his proposal? Ambition, dreams....they could be fulfilled all along. But the right man? Would he come along again? Kunal was everything she ever wanted, almost everything. And she was sure she would never come that close to her specifications again. She wanted to get married in her 30's...she wanted Kunal to wait. But he had said the pressure at his home was too much and that he wouldn't be able to argue with his old parents about it. Does that mean you say a yes to the 1st girl your parents choose for you?

Shalini looked at the girl. She looked good, simple and well dressed. The girl was smiling at Kunal's jokes now and Shalini could tell this meeting would be successful if it's let to proceed without any interruptions. This was the moment of truth, this was the time to decide. Shalini realized this was her last chance at winning the boy she was in love with. She got up from her seat and started walking towards the table, not knowing what her strategy to deal with the situation would be. She reached the table and stood there.

Kunal, the girl and the mother looked up at her. The mother was the 1st to talk, "Yes? What do you want?"
Shalini took a deep breath. She did not look at Kunal.
"I want him." She pointed at him.
Kunal jerked off his seat and got up, "Shardaji, this is my friend, Shalini. You were a bit late in coming here so I joined her at her table and we were chatting for a while."

Kunal signalled Shalini with his eyes to get lost. But Shalini seemed fixed in her place as if someone had applied Fevicol to her shoes.
"I am not just a friend. I'm his girl friend. And I don't know why he's doing this to me?" She broke down and started crying. Within seconds, everybody in KFC was quiet and looking at her. Kunal had never seen Shalini cry before, not even when they broke up had she cried. He had thought she's not human at all at some points. She wasn't like the other women he had known.

" How can you be so insensitive Kunal? Why do I have to say everything in words for you to understand? Don't you see it in my eyes? Don't you understand it by my behaviour? Have you ever seen me cooking for anybody? Didn't I cook for you? Didn't I wait for you ? I did your shopping and I cleaned up your cupboards. If this isn't my love for you then what is? All I asked was your time Kunal. And all it took for you to say a no to me was one argument. No trying, No struggling.......A No from my side and it's all over? I want you . I want you for my life and I'll fight to get you, come what may. I don't care if these people feel I'm so foolish and shameless. Yes I'm shamelessly making a scene here and begging you to not leave me Kunal. I'm not so strong as I show myself to be. I won't be able to carry on without you. I'll survive but I won't live my life. Please don't do this to me Kunal. Please."

She turned and walked out of KFC as fast as she could. She caught the 1st Auto she saw and was gone within seconds. The focus of the people at KFC now turned to Kunal. It was as if the crowd waited for his explanation or answer or something from him.

Kunal cleared his throat,"Vidya is my 2nd cousin who is in love with a man 15 years elder to her and who made the stupid decision of dropping out of college in her final sem to get married to him. I'm trying to fix the situation."

"Did you have to spoil my name in public to save your ass Kunal bhaiyya?" Vidya stood up, furious!

"So you do realize that what you've done is wrong." Kunal looked straight at Vidya, she sat down, " But I don't know what to do now? I'm so screwed up!"

"I'll deal with you later, first I've to go and talk to my lady love. It took her 5 years to realize that she is in love with me. Bye Shardachachi, will call you later." He rushed out of KFC.

"Thanks a lot Kunal....bless you both." Shardachachi turned to see her daughter, " Here's you who did not take a second to fall in love with the wrong man and there's Shalini who couldn't realize she was with the right man until she almost lost him....strange generation yours is!"








23 comments:

  1. Thats a nice story!! Loved reading every bit of it!! Life is so confusing!! People take so much of time to realize their love! Only when they know they are at the point of losing do they know true love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehehhee...very nice story..cudnt stop smiling in the end! nice description

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... I like that very much! It definitely takes a lot of time to realize things in the matters of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story. Was just wondering...Is it in anyway inspired from "some" real life incidents ;-) ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, that's quite a story with twists & turns. This story did give me a strange feeling, and you may get a drift there. Does happen. Glad to know you are back to writing short stories. I came across your blog through mutual pals and been a follower since. It would be nice if you could have a read on my blog as well, and give your insightful feedback on stories therein.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice story...and I don't know y...seems very real...
    And ya, sometimes, the importance of something is known when you are about to lose it...

    Shweta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank u everyone.

    @ Di: Inspired from real life?
    Yup it is.

    @ Basil: I'll definitely read your blog. In fact I m reading it right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!really nice..such a wonderful story!wow!really nice..such a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TY, Janaki, my colleague has read all your earlier stories too. I was telling her a new one was up today. Told a another good pal of mine about this blog, actually, about the stories bit :) In a way, this story reflects on my life too, wanted to say it earlier but anyway ... Do give in your feedback too. BTW, the Sincro hotel in Margao, yours ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, thanks Basil for getting my blog the traffic :-)
    I'm so glad this story feels so real and everyone can relate to it somewhere down the line.

    Abt ur last question, No, I don't own any Hotels but The Sincro Hotel is owned by my uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey nice one.. you have a gift to bring a twist in the "tail".. one question though. Why does kunal or anyone for that matter have to explain to public about wat happened. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. In real life nobody would bother to explain to the public.
    But when u read something as a story or watch a film, some dramatic effect is necessary to keep up the interest of d audience n d writer as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) Aww that was nice... Real nice.
    Twisty turny and happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I started reading it, thought it was real life story..:) It is quite an interesting story...kept me fixed till the last moment. I am happy about its ending. Keep the good work up..!! Cheers...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice story.. so engrossing that I found myself in KFC watching all these.. keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice blog......
    a nice twist indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Navdeep,
    u know d 1st half of d story....u were there.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started reading it and I kind of lost interest when she went to the other table and started saying stuff, and then I went back to work, but I got increasingly curious and couldn't help reading the rest of it, and I am glad I did, and Yeah, that's what we're good at, crappy relations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank u for your feedback. I read the story again and yes, that point when she goes and says stuff can be the weak link of the story because its slightly over the top, unrealistic maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful story J... Loved every bit of it... This is the case with most of them I think... I mean, we are never sure, be it realtionship or any decisions that we have to take... Nicely put..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, beautiful story it is, charming, very nice.
    From where do you get all these nice ideas/stories to write about?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks.

    I get d inspiration for most of the stories from real life. I imagine situations, run them in my mind, something like a simulator and ask myself what would I have done if?? And the answer is usually what I write.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...