Tuesday, November 24, 2009

2 states- The story of my marriage By Chetan Bhagat


I'll try as much as possible not to make this one into a book review!

I bought this book because:

1: It's cheap! priced at just Rs. 95/- ( Mr. Bhagat- A IIMA student definately knows what sells at what price in India! Indians love all those things that are priced under Rs. 100/-. No wonder he's the best selling author in India!)

2: I've a Reader's Block these days. I dont know if any such thing exists, but I think its almost been 4 months since I read anything useful! Partly cause my life is too exciting at the moment- that I find any book or any film boring in comparison! yes! I havent watched a single movie for the past couple of months too!

So, in order to beat out of this block, something light and funny was needed- so started on this book!

3: I am a big fan of his 1st book " 5 point someone" . I like his funny style and use of language, it runs a smile through my face and I love smiling!

4: He says it's a story of his marriage- I wanted to know if everybody suffers in marriage, or is it just me?

While reading the book:

1: It's funny: Mr. Bhagat has kept up his funny style and similies! I especially love all those times he makes comments and describes his in laws, like this one " Ananya's mother looked as if she had fallen into a drum of golden paint" - she wore a Kanjeevaram sari!

2: It brought me out of the block, now I can start reading the more serious books!

After Reading:

1. Not a great book- nothing compared to 5 point someone!

2. Mr. Bhagat , enough of IIT- IIM......! No more please! It started getting on my nerves, I dont think the smartest brains make it into IIT-IIM! I think the most boring and geeky get into those institutes! Ok, let me not generalise, I know you need to work damn hard to get through, but I am of the opinion that you cant judge a person's intelligence merely with the kind of paychecks they get!Mr. Bhagat is right though, in describing his citi bank job as one of the most boring!

3. This story is about his journey till his marriage! Which is usually fun! :) So, it did not clear my doubts fully!


4. Will I buy his next book?


Yes! Yes! Yes!
A. Because I've bought and read all of them so far!
B. The 2nd was bad, 3rd was ok, the latest being better than the 4th.......but I'll always keep loving his style and
C. I am his sincere fan!

So, if you need a good laugh, or just a casual read, please go and buy this book! It's worth the price!

3 comments:

  1. I am a fan of Chetan Bhagat's wit .. and how he applies it to everyday life (not only his books .. but there was an article about "How engineers can be touchy-feely" .. also his twitter profile)

    Having said that, after 5.some1; I dont read any of his books. I felt he was sending the wrong message with that book (all or nothing). I studied in one of the best Engineering colleges in Karnataka. I had a great college life; I enjoyed and at the same time I dint allow academics to take a back seat.

    And then, 5.some1 gave rise to a whole breed of campus stories (I read two of them - "Watch out We're MBA" and "Anything for you ma'am") .. and these kind of killed my appetite for campus stories.

    But posing the same question to myself - "Will I but the next Chetan Bhagat book?"
    Yes!Yes!Yes :) - as long as it doesnt talk about campus :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Maybe because campus life is most fun part of one's life" - How can anyone argue with THAT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    I can! Mine wasnt fun!
    School Life was the most fun part of my life!
    College life has been the biggest learning experience- with many bad profs and false friends and heartbreaking experiences!

    Everything is fine and fair only if there are good times to neutralise it! Unfortunately there were not many I can recall!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...