Thursday, May 14, 2009

Anjali ( 1990)




Ask my family members and they will tell you my craze for this film. Till date the film remains fresh in my memory. I think I must have watched this film when I was in 1st std, that makes me around 6 years old. Now I am amazed at myself for understanding it at such a young age. I loved the film, the cast, the music- everything! It is a must watch!

The lead Anjali was played by a girl called baby Shamili. I think I must have been her greatest and the youngest fan at that time. It was difficult to get movie posters at that time, especially south film posters. My aunt finally got me some posters from Mumbai I guess, or was that Chennai? I don’t remember. The posters are still stuck on a cupboard in my house.

I also remember writing my very 1st letter to her. And my father wrote back to me saying it was Shamili. I believed him till I was in 8th std! I’d actually shown that letter to every soul in my school! Gee! 

It was because of films like these that I’ve grown so fond of films. Many thanks to Mani Ratnam- his Anjali, Roja and most particularly Bombay have taught me what a complete film is! I use these films as study material, for its direction and cinematography, and story ,screenplay ofcourse!

I tried searching for the DVD, still haven’t found 1, I also did a search for a movie download, the 1 I got right now is a Tamil version, and I need a Hindi version to really enjoy the film. I hope some day soon, I’ll get the original DVD of the film.

Recently , by fluke, I came across Shamili’s current photograph on google search. It was a satisfaction of some kind to see her grown up! It was like finding a lost friend! The snap that I saw she looked very plain , thankfully not all made up with make up that our heroine’s wear now a days. I also read that her film “Oye” opposite Siddhartha will be releasing this year in 2009. It’s a Tamil film and I sure want to watch it, just for her sake, just to watch her! 


I would have liked to say so much more about the film, but I need to watch it agai! From age 6 till date- it’s really been a long time!




Facts about the film:

Anjali is about a dying autistic child, and the emotional trauma experienced by her family.

Written and directed by Mani Ratnam
Music by Ilaiyaraaja
Cast: Raghuvaran, Revathi, Tarun, Shruthi and Shamili.

5 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I didn't know Anjali was made by Mani Ratnam. Truly, a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my fav films too. There's a TV series coming on Zee that I think is on the similar lines... Aapki Antara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another serial?
    god help us!

    well! i hope they handle the subject properly, every director is not Mani Ratnam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I remember Anjali very well and it was so famous. I think it had come once or twice on Doordarshan and my family had got stuck to their seats for the entire movie. I used to feel really hurt to see her go through all the trauma... Is that the pic of Anjali grown up? She is beautiful. I really thought that time that she died for real! I feel so good now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had heard about this movie - because when she was young, many people told me my daughter's hair looked like Anjali's... I googled and saw more pictures of hers and I guess there was a resemblance.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...